Genomic Express currently offers the genetic tests described in this section. We also provide information about new tests under development in the Genomic Express research laboratories that will be offered at a future date.
Genomic Express provides genetic testing and genomic services for the new era of personalized genomics. Our current genetic tests and services fall into several broad categories.
- Inherited Traits. We all have unique attributes, and specific variants in your genome contribute to your personal characteristics. Obvious examples are eye, skin and hair color, but there are other more subtle personal characteristics that are genetically determined. For example, there are genetic variants which are predictive of male pattern baldness, and people may have different sensitivities to pain due to specific genetic variants. Other genetic variations affect athletic ability. As these and other genetic variants are discovered and scientifically validated, Genomic Express will provide access to testing in our CLIA certified laboratory through this web site.
- Lifestyle. There are many things in our environment, including foods and drinks we consume, that may have beneficial or harmful effects. You may be more or less susceptible to positive and negative effects based on your individual genetics. Knowledge of your personal genetics allows you to modify your lifestyle for improved health.
- Medical. These genetic tests pertain to susceptibility to diseases, response to medications and therapies, and other aspects of medical management. The results of these genetic tests can be interpreted by your physician in order to more effectively manage medical issues, decrease your likelihood of future medical problems and improve your overall health.
The Genomic Express laboratory is a California licensed clinical laboratory, and CLIA certified for high complexity testing in Human Genetics (Accreditations/Certifications).
Genetic Testing with Genomic Express
For all genetic tests that we offer, we provide:
- Information about the trait, lifestyle or medical condition for which the test is relevant.
- Information and tools, including online questionnaires, to help you decide whether a particular test is appropriate and would be useful for you.
- What information the genetic test can (and can not) give you.
- Recommended actions for particular test results.
- Online ordering of genetic tests. Once you have decided to take a test and place your order, we do the following:
- Set up your own Genomic Express personal and secure online account.
- Send you a test kit with instructions for collecting your DNA sample. This is a buccal swab which merely requires running a sterile cotton swab along the inside of your cheek.
- You complete the test kit and return it directly to our testing laboratory in the pre-paid envelope.
- When your genetic test is completed, we notify you by e-mail and you can log in to your own secure account to view your comprehensive report.
- For medical genetic tests, we can provide access to a qualified genetic counselor when requested for explanation and discussion of your test results.
- Confidentiality and security of your genetic information. Your genetic test result(s) will be posted to your personal online account. This account is established at the time you order a test. It is password protected so that you control access to your genetic test results. Anonymous genetic testing is available if desired.
- No genetic tests, other than the one(s) you specifically ordered, will be performed on your DNA sample. Unlike other genetic testing companies, Genomic Express does not conduct any research using your DNA. Unless you choose to use one of our other services, such as personal DNA banking/archiving, your DNA sample will be destroyed after your genetic tests are completed.
The available genetic tests are organized by the ancetsry/genealogy, inherited traits, lifestyle and medical conditions listed below. You can also search our website for a genetic test by either the gene, phenotype (trait) or medical condition.
For a concise list of the genetic tests that we currently offer, please follow this link: Tests We Offer